Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Uses XBox Excuses to Escape Libaility

Verily I say unto thee, that waterskidoo spake thusly:

> That's one thing I like about OSS. There is no attitude or *shame* if
> you will. I mean that in a nice way. When something is found to be
> broken, it gets fixed and it happens *very quickly*. No finger
> pointing, no ego's etc. A let's just fix it attitude, and I admire
> that. I'm sure there is bickering going on behind the scenes, but
> it's not a big issue and it certainly doesn't seem to impede the bug
> fix process.

Yes there is a much greater level of transparency and accountability in
Free Software than in proprietary software. At the end of the day, all
corporations' primary focus is profit, and if they need to cut corners
and then cover it up to achieve that goal, they will.

With that transparency also comes a degree of uncomfortable exposure
too, though. Read the LKML for a good example of finger-pointing and
bickering. I can live with that; unlike corporations, the Free Software
community doesn't have to worry about PR issues, doesn't suffer profit
warnings or stockholder revolts or the threat of delisting, doesn't
exploit Chinese sweatshop or low-paid HB1-Visa workers, doesn't suffer
from embezzlement or other financial fraud issues, and doesn't use fake
grassroots campaigns and hired lobbyists to bribe politicians and
corrupt standards and software.

Besides, people airing their dirty laundry in public is highly
entertaining. It beats the crap out of watching TV, that's for sure.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Computer games don’t affect kids, I mean if Pac man affected us as
| kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills
| and listening to repetitive music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
 02:20:40 up 12 days,  1:15,  3 users,  load average: 0.81, 0.63, 0.52