Re: Apple buys CUPS

____/ Jeanette on Thursday 12 July 2007 18:20 : \____

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>> Linonut wrote:
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Jeanette belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> That ain't going to fly with the FSF.  Apple must release their modified
>>> source code to their Apple users.
>>>

>> Except that apple now are the copyright owners.
>> They *can* allow additional rights.
>> And this is an additional right, somewhat like the LGPL
>>
>> CUPS itself is not changed by this, it still is under GPL
>> What they are talking about is additional stuff build around CUPS
>
> I would interpret this to mean any CUPS software done for OS X does not
> have to release the source

Let's just hope they don't subvert and divert attention in the project. It has
a FOSS focus. When Microsoft buys software that's Apple oriented, it's a death
knell.

Parallels/Wine comes to mind here, but it's a different type of situation.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
Mem:    515500k total,   447480k used,    68020k free,     3672k buffers