Re: [News] [Rival] Advice to Windows Users: Don't Click on Things

____/ BearItAll on Thursday 12 July 2007 11:45 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Don't be so quick to click that Web page
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | What a world. First worms and viruses, then phishing schemes. But now,
>> | cautions Trend Micro Chief Technology Officer Raimund Genes, your online
>> | life may get that much hairier.
>> |
>> | Welcome to the brave new world of booby-trapped Web pages. If Trend
>> | Micro's predictions hold up, more cyberattacks will originate from the
>> | Web than they do from e-mail.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6195985.html
>
> Ok everyone, heed the warning. Do not open any web pages.
> It will probably help to lay under your bed all day everyday too, and just
> in case these phishermen are really really good, burn your wallet and bury
> the ash in your garden, would a six foot hole suffice or should we go
> deeper?
>
> Alternatively, get yourself a Linux.
>
> You realise that what Trend are saying is that they and the other security
> suites are fighting a battle that they are losing. When the two main ones
> said publicly that they couldn't properly protect Windows users, then
> really they might as well all throw in the towel and let windows collapse.
> I wonder how long it would take for Windows to collapse in a bloody heap if
> these vendors did all pull out, a whole day perhaps? Or am I being too
> conservative.
>

> You know someone mentioned in our forum a few nights ago (a Windows user
> *sic* ) that they were watching a film and a login dialog popped up onto
> the screen, the login was to some IP address, he had traced it to somewhere
> in America but didn't get a domain name. There was nothing to indicate
> which program had brought up the login. My first question was 'Did you have
> MSN open?' but he said he doesn't use it.
>
> I thought it was odd that he couldn't tell which program had initiated the
> login because I remembered that Windows used to have a call tree dialog
> somewhere, like when we 'ps' as a tree. But none of us, including the
> Windows users, could remember how to get to it or if it was still
> available.

A few years back, when my sister reinstalled Windows on my mom's PC (it got too
badly infected), poppups that suggest "fixing the Registry" appears just
shortly after the O/S was installed. It's like part of the installation
procedure should be to clean the system, which gets infected moments after
it's set up (no need for user intervention). The BBC had some chocking figure
about the frequency of hijacking attempts on a broadband connection (time per
minutes, IIRC).

Windows...

Don't plug it until it's got some plasters in a few hundreds of places.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
Cpu(s): 26.4%us,  4.5%sy,  1.0%ni, 63.8%id,  3.9%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st