[News] "Caught with Pants Down" by Microsoft Active Directory Flaw (Full Compromise)

  • Subject: [News] "Caught with Pants Down" by Microsoft Active Directory Flaw (Full Compromise)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:32:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft patches Active Directory flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| The MS07-039 Active Directory update, which is for Windows 2000 Server and
| Windows Server 2003 systems, should be at the top of enterprise IT
| administrators' lists, said Eric Schultze, chief security architect with
| Shavlik Technologies. "That one scares me because those are the crown jewels
| there. And it looks like you're caught with your pants down at the moment."
|
| [...]
|
| The flaw deals with the way Active Directory processes LDAP client requests.
| Attackers could create a malicious LDAP request that would then allow them
| to "take complete control of an affected system," Microsoft warned in its
| advisory on the flaw.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070710/tc_infoworld/90096

Didn't they have a serious DNS flaw a couple of months ago? This company needs
to be broken apart. It's unable to produce software that fits am enterprise
without costing everyone billions worth of damages. Microsoft is not even
being honest (see below).

Related:

Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
| fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
| effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
| keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=316

Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

,----[ Quote ]
| Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
| that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
| of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond’s silent patching
| practice?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=527

How secure are Linux, Window and Mac OS?

http://www.masuran.org/node/29

2006 Operating System Vulnerability Summary

http://www.omninerd.com/2007/03/26/articles/74

Linux vs. Windows: Which is Most Secure?

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/views/article.php/3665801

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

The problems with Vista laid bare - What might have been

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Linux more secure than Windows, national survey shows

http://www.xomba.com/linux_more_secure_than_windows_national_survey_shows

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows

More than half of Microsoft Vista needs re-writing

Windows Fiji: Now second half of 2008?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=520

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

Microsoft cuts Windows virtualization features

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6182852.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "Right now, Microsoft has nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide. After all
| the hype surrounding Vista, the Emperor has finally been revealed in all
| his naked glory. Some folks have been predicting the demise of Microsoft. I
| wouldn't go that far, but I am wondering how we?re ever going to take
| Microsoft seriously again?"
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/29/vista_end_dream/

A history of Microsoft Windows - the inside story exposed

,----[ Quote ]
| 2004: (...)
| THE MANAGEMENT: "What do you mean it still doesn't work? Try
| harder!"
|
| 2005: (...)
| "MAKE IT WORK! FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAKE IT WORK! Well, throw it away
| and use the server version then, that seems all right. Look, they
| won't know the difference, drop the database stuff, nobody remembers
| what we said in 1995 now! That was ten years ago! "Apple has what?
| 3D acceleration? So, we have DirectX. What, in the desktop? Really?
| What, even Stallman's beardie-weirdies have it? Oh hell. Right, you
| lot, make it look like this!"

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows
Developers

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/09/11/ms-insider-the-office-crew-isnt-smart-enough-to-supplant-real-windows-developers/
http://tinyurl.com/35eqrt