[News] [Rival] Sun Fails to Protect Its Users, Says eEye

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Sun Fails to Protect Its Users, Says eEye
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:16:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
EEye: Sun update system exposes users

,----[ Quote ]
| To illustrate the problem, eEye points to a recent flaw in the Java Runtime
| Environment, used to run programs that are written in Java.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1955771160&rid=-50

Linux 2.6.22.1 has just been released to patch a bug. How's *that* for quick
response?

Related:

Sun Micro to revamp Solaris with Linux features

,----[ Quote ]
| The revamped Solaris system will have features borrowed from Linux that could
| make it easier to use, correspondence on Sun's Web site shows.
|
| [...]
|
| "Solaris is hard to set up. It doesn't have good hardware support," said
| Ladislav Bodnar, founder of Distrowatch.com, a Web site that reviews
| open-source software. "The hope is that things may change."
`----

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/07/07/sun_micro_to_revamp_solaris_with_linux_features/

Project Proposal - (what is/was Indiana)

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the project proposal that should have been out a long while back
| (apologies, I'm happy to take the blame on this one). Before anyone gets
| too caught up in how little the proposal actually covers, I intend to
| follow up with my thoughts if and when the project alias gets created - I'd
| like that discussion to be far more focused than opensolaris-discuss has
| been.
`----

https://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=31802&tstart=0

OpenSolaris fans in a tizzy over 'Project Copy Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems has moved one mailing list posting closer to explaining
| how it plans to mimic the Linux distribution model with OpenSolaris.
|
| [...]
|
| The Solaris vendor spent the early part of this century mocking Linux.
| Next, it forced then CEO Scott McNealy to don a penguin suit and waddle
| around in front of analysts, extolling the virtues of Sun's own flavor
| of Linux. Then, Sun scrapped its own Linux in favor of selling Red Hat,
| while also mocking Red Hat.
|
| Now we find Sun trying to imitate part of the development model pushed
| by Canonical and Red Hat. Even though Sun likes to hold tight control
| over the Solaris proper releases, you can imagine the vendor picking
| up valuable bits and pieces created by the OpenSolaris developer
| community, just like the Linux vendors do with the work produced by
| their developer armies.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/31/sun_project_indiana/

"Save a Penguin, Unplug a Linux Server" May Win Most-Flamable E-Mail Award

,----[ Quote ]
| I just got an e-mail from Sun which is probably the largest violation
| of L. Ron Hubbard's Survey tech that I've ever seen. It was an e-mail
| with the title of, "Save a Penguin - Unplug a Linux Server Today".
`----

http://jetteroheller.wordpress.com/2007/05/03/save-a-penguin-unplug-a-linux-server-may-win-most-flamable-e-mail-award/

Solaris can never be Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Things haven't changed much at Sun. When Sun launched its
| OpenSolaris project in 2005 it used the Common Development and
| Distribution Licence - which is incompatible withb the GPL - and
| some system code was not released.

What I Learned From Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
`----