Re: Linux Creator Calls GPLv3 Authors 'Hypocrites' As Open Source Debate Tu Nasty

____/ dapunka on Wednesday 11 July 2007 01:05 : \____

> On 11 Jul, 00:04, chrisv <chr...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> dapunka wrote:
>> > So Linus doesn't like GPLv3... so don't use it!!  But for Linus to try
>> > telling everyone else how to license their own work - that's what /I/
>> > call immoral!
>>
>> Well, maybe he feels that GPL3 will hurt Linux, even if the kernel stays
>> at GPL2.
>
> Assuming that's true, he's still getting above himself.  The whole
> point of the FOSS movement is /no one/ is the leader.  Not him, not
> the FSF.  Maybe there'll be a schism, "pro-Linus" folk disregarding
> GPLv3, others happily adopting it.  Such a fork would be harmful, I
> agree, but this has been building up for a long time now, and Linus
> and the FSF could have tried reaching a negotiated settlement instead
> of just abusing each other.
>
> I prefer the possibility of closed-source drivers being used when
> there's no alternative, and it's gonna be a real shame when/if that
> doesn't happen any more.  But Linus' language is just making any last-
> minute compromise impossible.

I agree with dapunka on this one. Without _non_-Linux Free software (which is
about 97% of Debian for example), Linux would be just a kernel. They need to
live in harmony. No guts, no glory.

Apprentice - fancy word for "slave"
 01:20:05 up 24 days,  6:48,  6 users,  load average: 1.99, 2.11, 1.35