Re: OT: HAve you seen the disaster that is Tucows?

____/ BearItAll on Monday 30 July 2007 08:50 : \____

> jim wrote:
>
>> Holy cow patties, Batman!  If you ever wondered just how fvked up a site
>> can get.....
>>
>> http://www.tucows.com/index.html
>
> It looks alright to me.
>
> I like that 'Find a solution' part, for example you might click to find a
> solution for audio.
>
> Then you get some typical questions about MP3, Internet radio, streaming
> audio etc.
>
> Lets select 'Streaming audio'.
>
> Then it gives you a list of option areas for streaming audio.
>
> The initial lists are not large, but users can add more. It's a nice system.
>

> The only thing I'd say is that we all will remember Tucows as one of the
> longest standing sites, it has been through periods when it was a very busy
> site with many areas of interest and others when it was very unpopular, but
> it is still there. The content seems to have narrowed down and you get the
> feeling they are finding a different angle to come from, still informative
> but passing you on to sites with results more often that using their own
> content.
>
> That is probably not a bad way to do it, except that it makes the Tucows
> site seem a bit sparse.

It looks alright. Nice and clean, not too heavy. Tucows was one of the first
Web sites that I used on the Web. It was probably one of the central points
for downloads at the time. It still is, but it has a lot more competition. It
didn't go the way of the AltaVista (Dodo), let alone Vista (wait and watch).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Spam enchanted evening..."