Re: [sclug] Defective by Design - BBC London Protest - August 14th (also, Manchester?)

____/ ed on Sunday 29 July 2007 18:16 : \____

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 09:59:41 -0700
> John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:46:43 +0100, Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> >
>> >The decision to waste licence-payer's money paying Microsoft to
>> >develop code which could very easily have been done by capable local
>> >or foreign people in a platform agnostic way is one for which heads
>> >should role. I'm assuming that Ashley Highfield is at the centre of
>> >this, but it also appears that the BBC Trust should be dissolved,
>> >and that Alistair Faquarson also should be removed from the National
>> >Archives, as he is clearly not pro-open-standards, which is not a
>> >position an archivist should even /contemplate/ taking.
>> I've decided to ignore all of this TV web crap. Besides, I have my
>> Fawlty Towers, Black Adder and Red Dwarf DVDs. Now there was some
>> REAL TV programming back when the BBC had great heart.
>
> You probably shouldn't ignore this topic. The beeb are planing on some
> drastic changes, such as phasing out the TV licence and introducing a
> computer licence. This came from their studies of the number of people
> who watched the Olympic games via the web.
>
> Who knows... maybe they will phase out terrestrial TV with web tv in
> our lifetimes, with News 24 moving to the web before other programmes.

True, and that's why it's such a big deal. They might also have plans to make
their Web site .NET-only. The BBC's technical department is Microsoft Corp.
You are paying Microsoft via your taxes, which is unacceptable. There's a
similar trend in American TV channels too. Stop it now before it gets too
messy. That's what the Defective by Design campaigns is all about. We have
been successful on the audio front (to some extent), but Hollywood is harder
to defeat. They look at the anti-DRM folks as though they are mob, rebels.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Prevalence does not imply ideali$M
Cpu(s): 27.0%us,  4.5%sy,  1.0%ni, 62.9%id,  4.1%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st