[News] GIMP User Interface Overhaul Described

  • Subject: [News] GIMP User Interface Overhaul Described
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:26:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GIMP’s major UI revamp

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP is well known as a powerful application, and especially in the last few
| years has gained a rather large community of users. There’s also a large
| group of people for whom GIMP would be their tool of choice, if it had the
| same kind of attention to user interface as Inkscape, GNOME, Firefox and
| other modern Open Source apps.
`----

http://www.venturecake.com/gimps-major-ui-revamp/

Related:

Instrumented GIMP To Identify Usability Flaws

| New users of the GIMP often become frustrated at the application's unwieldy
| user interface. Now Prof. Michael Terry and a group of researchers at the
| University of Waterloo have created ingimp, a modified version of the GIMP
| that collects real-time usability data in order to help the GIMP developers
| find and fix its usability problems.
`----

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07%2F07%2F10%2F1817230

Linux VS Windows usability.

,----[ Quote ]
| It all boils down to knowing what you are doing. Trying to do anything
| without the required knowledge is hard and the professionals make everything
| look easy. I would say that in terms of usability Linux has the upper hand.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/linux-vs-windows-usability-17472

Gimp 2.3 (preview of 2.4)

,----[ Quote ]
| The major change for this release seems to be a big usability
| overhaul. New defaults are now in place that make the Gimp look
| a little bit like Photoshop, but still has many features that
| make it unique.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2007/06/08/gimp-23-preview-of-24/

ingimp: improving the usability of the GIMP by collecting and analyzing usage
data

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://debaday.debian.net/2007/07/22/ingimp-improving-the-usability-of-the-gimp-by-collecting-and-analyzing-usage-data/