[News] Classic Example of Turning Unwanted PCs into Powerful Linux Servers

  • Subject: [News] Classic Example of Turning Unwanted PCs into Powerful Linux Servers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 06:03:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Turning an old PC into a file server, the Gentoo way

,----[ Quote ]
| An old computer, to use Gentoo this will need to be at least a 486 (My choice
| is an aging Pentium 90Mhz, S3 Virge graphics card, with 80MB RAM upgraded
| from an original 16MB.) This should work on anything 486 and above, you could
| use a 386 (I think) with FreeBSD, but Gentoo should be much flexible and
| faster as well. Your limit is that defined by the Gentoo minimal install CD,
| that being 64MB of RAM and at least a 486. The biggest issue here is probably
| going to be RAM, but you can probably pick up some cheap old sticks on ebay
| for not a lot.
`----

http://www.instructables.com/id/E8NIPVUF4MSZZ7U

Landfill material becomes a wonderful service for homes.

Related:

16,000 Linux computers delivered - for free

,----[ Quote ]
| With his non-profit organization called Alameda County Computer Resource
| Center, he built up a volunteer organization, collects donated stuff from the
| companies who provide them, strips any proprietary OS and software off the
| drives, re-installs everything with Linux and free applications, and then
| gives them to schools or other not-for-profit organizations or individuals
| without too much cash.
|
| A great man with a great mission. CNN called him a hero already.

WEEE directive threatens Microsoft OEM sales

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a possibility Microsoft may well dump the OEM scheme and that
| could prompt small firms that don't want to be WEEEing to install Linux
| or even pirate OSes.

Greenpeace: Vista could trigger a deluge of electronic waste

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/84816/from/rss09