[News] Proof That Only Ignorance Leads to Choosing Windows

  • Subject: [News] Proof That Only Ignorance Leads to Choosing Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:03:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Melbourne Health builds networked images database

,----[ Quote ]
| Rafael searched for a possible solution and four possibilities. One was
| deemed to be too expensive and proprietary, while others were open source and
| only ran on Linux.
|
| "Our systems are all Windows so we didn't have permission to use Linux,"
| Rafael said.
|
| [...]
|
| Why Linux wasn't installed in a virtual machine to try one of the open source
| solutions is unclear.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=185329309&rid=-50

How about those that even use Windows as a DNS server (see below)?

Related:

Microsoft preps 133 patches for Windows DNS hole

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is working on 133 separate updates for the problem, Budd wrote.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9710490-7.html

Microsoft DNS Server Attacks Continue

,----[ Quote ]
| The concept enables malicious users to run code remotely under the
| system privileges generally granted to the DNS service itself.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_DNS_Server_Attacks_Continue/1176828918

Microsoft: Patch for critical DNS flaw may be ready by 8 May

,----[ Quote ]
| The cmopany has been under pressure to address the flaw, reported
| last week, since software that exploits it has now been widely
| disseminated, and criminals are beginning to use it in attacks.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/technology/servers-data-centre/infrastructure-management/news/index.cfm?newsid=2650
http://tinyurl.com/27wje2

Attack code raises Windows DNS zero-day risk

,----[ Quote ]
| At least four exploits for the vulnerability in the Windows domain
| name system, or DNS, service were published on the Internet over the
| weekend, Symantec said in an alert Monday.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6176429.html

Cybercrooks exploiting new Windows DNS flaw

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6175743.html