[News] Sony's Profit Tripled, Microsoft Starts "Dumping" Products to Stop Blu-Ray Adoption

  • Subject: [News] Sony's Profit Tripled, Microsoft Starts "Dumping" Products to Stop Blu-Ray Adoption
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 04:53:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sony profit more than triples on digicam, yen

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony's chief financial officer, Nobuyuki Oneda, said the PS3's performance
| fell short of expectations in the first quarter but expressed hope that a
| cut to the price of its 60GB model and the upcoming launch of an 80GB model
| would boost demand.
|
| "Thanks to these measures, PS3 sales are picking up pace," Oneda told a news
| conference.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6198911.html

Microsoft cuts Xbox DVD player to $179

,----[ Quote ]
| Attaching the players to popular game consoles is seen by both camps as a way
| to get the technology into millions of homes, and pique consumers' interest.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6198919.html

There are other tricks being used to pressure rivals through margins. See
below.

Related:

Is Toshiba Giving Away The Razor [HD DVD] To Get You To Buy The Blades?

,----[ Quote ]
| I just received an e-mail tonight from the folks at the EMA (Electronic
| Merchant's Association), who are responsible for a big industry event next
| week, the Home Media Expo.
`----

http://www.dvddossier.com/2007/07/a2-toshiba-hd-d.html

Cringely the Unemployable on the fallacy of Web 2.0, Microsoft ruthlessness,
and the CB radio of our decade

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html