[News] Rebuttal to Disinformation or Lies About Linux Kernel Development

  • Subject: [News] Rebuttal to Disinformation or Lies About Linux Kernel Development
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:35:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Pointy-haired kernel hackers?

,----[ Quote ]
| One could add more names to the list, but the end result would be about the
| same: the top-level kernel maintainers are not among the most prolific
| contributors (except maybe for David Miller - but, then, he's an exception in
| many regards), but neither are they absent from the game. They are still
| hacking on the code and cranking out the patches.
|
| [...]
|
| So the broadening of the kernel development community - and the associated
| need for more work by subsystem maintainers - is not really costing us our
| best developers. They are not "losing the will to code."
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/240758/

Related:

Linux: Poetry in Documentation

,----[ Quote ]
| Andrew Morton noted that he would consider the documentation patches for
| inclusion in the 2.6.23 kernel, to which Rusty replied, "indeed, no code
| changes, and I feel strongly that it should go into 2.6.23 because it's
| *fun*. And (as often complained) there's not enough poetry in the kernel."
| Linus Torvalds quipped, "there's a reason for that," going on to
| rhyme, "there once was a lad from Braidwood, with a wife and a hatred for
| FUD, he hacked kernels for fun, couldn't get them to run, but he always felt
| that he should." He added,
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/13992

Linux contributor base broadens

,----[ Quote ]
| With more companies funding Linux work, the core hackers now delegate
| 70% of the coding
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/062807-linux-contributor-base.html

Linux Symposium 2007 - a summary

,----[ Quote ]
| Greg Kroah-Hartman has been digging through the kernel source repositories
| for statistics much like your editor has. The resulting numbers are similar,
| though Greg has cranked through the full 2+ years of history in the mainline
| git repository and, thus, has a longer-term sort of view. Among other things,
| he concluded that, in that time, the kernel developers have averaged almost
| three changes per hour - every hour - during that time. About 2000 lines of
| code are added every day. That is a pace of development which is matched by
| few - if any - projects anywhere in the world. Greg also notes that the
| number of developers involved is growing with each release. This, he says, is
| a good sign; the kernel community is bringing in new developers, important to
| keep the process healthy.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/240402/

40 feet of kernel developers