[News] PlayStation Remains Most Popular, Microsoft faces New Fears and Problems

  • Subject: [News] PlayStation Remains Most Popular, Microsoft faces New Fears and Problems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:23:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Nielsen: PS2 most-played console in June

,----[ Quote ]
| Seven years after its launch, Sony's PS2 was still the most-played console,
| accounting for 42 percent of video game use during the month. Microsoft's
| original Xbox took second place with 17 percent, followed by the Xbox 360
| with 8 percent.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070726/ap_on_hi_te/techbit_ps2

Plenty of time for change ahead (7 years?), with PS2 owners likely to choose a
compatibility route with a cheap PS3.

Microsoft makes bet: Sony will unveil $399 PS3 this year

,----[ Quote ]
| This time, Xbox director of technical strategy and attack blogger
| Andre "Ozymandias" Vrignaud, is the one to take a bet with N'Gai. He states
| that "My prediction is that you're going to see the creation of a new,
| low-end SKU this holiday. It'll likely remove integrated WiFi, memory card
| reader, and most controversially, all backward compatibility. (Remember,
| there's still some back-compat hardware in even the new "software only" back
| compat SKUs; removing the remaining CPU is a significant cost savings.)
| You'll see a new WiFi dongle made available. And finally, this low-end SKU
| will likely come with a smaller 40 GB hard drive. The low-end price will be
| set at $399, with the higher-end 80 GB SKU dropping to $499."
`----

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/07/25/microsoft-makes-bet-sony-will-unveil-399-ps3-this-year/

Microsoft's concerns above are followed by more:

Mistakes were made with Xbox in Europe, admits Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Xbox Europe boss Chris Lewis admitted that the company made errors with the
| Xbox, primarily by paying too much attention to serious gamers, and not
| enough to broadening the market beyond the hardcore fans.
`----

http://www.gamersquad.com/category/Xbox/Mistakes-were-made-with-Xbox-in-Europe-admits-Microsoft/

That's why Wii beats them.

More problems ahead. The XBox360 suffers a 100% defect rate simply because
Microsoft was too vain to release a product when it's ready (or quickly recall
and redesign last year). $1.9 billion in losses in the last financial report
alone. problems continue and will continue while 11+ million people own
defective products.

Xbox 360 Freezing

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/xbox-xbox-360-discussion/95919-xbox-360-freezing.html#758233