Re: [News] Pamela Jones Beats FUD, Gets Award

  • Subject: Re: [News] Pamela Jones Beats FUD, Gets Award
  • From: High Plains Thumper <highplainsthumper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:13:06 +0900
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:LEcih0aKSPyrJxjdyxJPv0b6JGM=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> OSCON: Open Source Awards 2007
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Pamela Jones - Best FUD Fighter When the SCO drama was being played out,
> | one website became the place to get your knowledge. Pamela, or PJ, as
> | she is known, leads research and reporting of legal events important to
> | the FOSS community. Through her tremendous work, Groklaw continues to be
> | the place to get our regular dose of legal insight and analysis.
> `----
>
> http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/07/oscon_open_sour_1.html

I have a great respect and admiration for PJ's tenacity and consistency.
The below two paragraphs (parsed) I found an interesting read:

> As for trolls and deliberate meanness, people trying to undermine
> Groklaw's reputation, at first it bothered me more than it does now. I
> had to develop a thicker skin or stop doing Groklaw, so I developed a
> thicker skin.

This is what is happening in COLA.

> When it first started, in late 2004, and it seemed like a deliberate
> smear campaign, I thought, "What kind of people are these? Why are they
> willing to behave so abominably, be so dishonest, deliberately try to
> ruin my good name?"

.... Bingo!

> I had never known anyone like that before in my life, and it actually
> kept me awake nights. Like going to a horror movie. You can't sleep for
> weeks. Then I stopped thinking about it. It is what it is, I decided.
> Maybe I never met such people before, but they were on the same planet
> as I was the whole time. Then I relaxed a bit. But the thought was, how
> far will people like this go? I can't imagine doing what they do for
> money. Is that not a pitiful life choice? But where is *their* line?
> They go way over mine already, so I thought about that quite a bit.

Yep, doing it for the money, there is almost always a pretext for greed.

> For about a year, I thought they would in fact succeed in destroying my
> reputation. The attacks were daily, all over the Internet. But I just
> kept on doing Groklaw, because I knew the research was good, solid, and
> worth putting out there. Here's what happened. The FOSS community is
> made up of brainiacs. That is our greatest strength as a geek community.

Fortunately here in COLA, we have advocates who are part of the FOSS
community.

> The things that get you teased in school as kids turn out to be very
> useful as adults. People simply understood that it was an antiGroklaw
> FUD campaign. And they figured out who might be behind it. I didn't have
> to say or do much at all. Ironically, it ended up just making Groklaw
> more well-known. Funny.

True, we all know who is behind it.

--
HPT