Why distrust M$, but trust Sun?

  • Subject: Why distrust M$, but trust Sun?
  • From: plenty560@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:39:38 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, gnu.misc.discuss
It has been my observation that most of the Linux users
that I have encountered tend to use OpenOffice, which is
a Sun Microsystems product. It's a decent product, too.
It works well and probably better than KOffice. But
it occurred to me recently, what is to keep Sun from
putting spyware in OpenOffice, for instance on behalf
of the NSA? Are they an especially ethical company?
(Is any?) Astute observers of corporate America have
seen in recent times a series of tech companies that proved
willing to assist with current administration's agenda
or the RIAA/MPAA agenda. And what better way to
infiltrate an otherwise hard to enter area such as
Linux users' personal PCs than to sneak some code
into an OpenOffice binary? Even if users encrypt their
drives, the baddies would still get access. And, as everyone
knows, the more bloated the software, the less likely
people are to download the sources and compile it for
themselves. (Not all distros come with OO.)