Re: [News] Google Shuns Proprietary Web 'Extensions'

> Flash alternatives blessed by Google
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| 1. Replace the Flash elements with a more accessible alternative like
>| CSS/DHTML.
>|
>| 2. Employ a Web design approach known as "progressive enhancement," whereby
>| designs are layered in a concatenated manner to provide an alternative
>| experience for non-Flash users. This way, all users, including search engine
>| spiders, will be able to access your content and functionality. For an
>| example of progressive enhancement, check out Amazon's "Create Your Own Ring"
>| tool. Simply turn off the JavaScript capabilities in your browser and build
>| your ring--with or without the Flash interaction.
> `----
>
> http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9748159-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
>
> Well done, Google.
>
> Nintendo Wii Exposed to Adobe Flash bug
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Symantec says a recently identified Adobe Flash vulnerability could affect
>| the Nintendo Wii through the console's Opera internet browser.
> `----
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070723/tc_pcworld/134959
>
> Not only is it lockin, but it's also not secure. Security comes from wisdom of
> the crowds (many eyes). Case studies:
>
> Wikipedia:Errors in the Encyclopædia Britannica that have been corrected in
> Wikipedia
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| This page catalogs some mistakes and omissions in Encyclopædia Britannica
>| (EB) and shows how they have been corrected in Wikipedia. Some errors have
>| already been corrected in Britannica's online version.
> `----
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Errors_in_the_Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica_that_have_been_corrected_in_Wikipedia

This is good, though, I would say - as it shows that mistakes can be
fixed, and that competition, even in storing, indexing and searching
knowledge and opinion is a good thing.

We have a copy of Britannica here, it's very good, and I encourage the
kids to use the Internet as well as our in-house library, and the local
libraries when searching for information.