[News] [Rival] iPhone Sales Disappoint Investors, Problems Reported

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] iPhone Sales Disappoint Investors, Problems Reported
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:47:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apple shares fall on iPhone numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T Inc. wiped some of the glow off Apple Inc.'s iPhone on Tuesday,
| releasing numbers that showed fewer people than expected signed up for
| service in the first two days of the multimedia cell phone's release.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070724/ap_on_hi_te/apple_iphone

AT&T took all the money with rising profits, as reported yesterday.

AT&T Reports iPhone Failed To Connect, At Least In Terms Of Service Activations

,----[ Quote ]
| Buyers do need to activate AT&T service to use their iPhone, but analysts
| figure many of the early buyers didn't get that task done before quarter's
| end.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ibd/20070724/bs_ibd_ibd/2007724feature

Recent:

IPhone Flaw Lets Hackers Take Over, Security Firm Says

,----[ Quote ]
| The researchers, working for Independent Security Evaluators, a company that
| tests its clients’ computer security by hacking it, said that they could take
| control of iPhones through a WiFi connection or by tricking users into going
| to a Web site that contains malicious code. The hack, the first reported,
| allowed them to tap the wealth of personal information the phones contain.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/23/technology/23iphone.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1185163364-1OTsRJvbylLamj17FY2wnw&oref=slogin

Apple iPhone issue highlights security debate

,----[ Quote ]
| Most early iPhone adopters have bought into the Apple mythology which
| convinces them that anything blessed by Steve Jobs is automatically
| desirable, so we won't see a mass return of the shiny devices with their
| slick interface.

IPhone Contract Is Long and Legally Murky

,----[ Quote ]
| The bad news: The iPhone contract may not be the last word in overly long and
| complex user agreements. Terms-of-service contracts promise to grow even more
| dense, legal experts warn, making them even more difficult to understand than
| they already are.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireless/news/2007/07/iphone_contract

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_matures_free_your_phone_movement

OpenMoko Neo1973 - an open source Linux based iPhone killer in the making ?

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/07/openmoko-neo1973-open-source-linux.html