Re: [News] The Jim Finkle Microsoft Shill on OLPC

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 25 July 2007 09:18 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 24 July 2007 09:52 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Get this:
>>> If the XO laptop does make its way onto the market this year,
>>> it could surprise personal computer makers who have already
>>> spent months planning their strategy for the 2007 holiday season.
>>>
>>> Surely only those who live with their heads permanently in buckets could
>>> be surprised by the appearance of XO machines?
>>
>> I nifty GBP180 laptop like this would be valuable around the gym where it
>> could endure falls, have a permanent connection, and a large screen. No need
>> for frequent charges, either.
>>

> A very interesting point - the XO machines could be /really/ useful
> for rugged uses generally - how about camping, cycling, in-car work,
> site-work, etc. etc.   Education is only one small part of a huge, wide,
> set of possible uses.  How many garages and workshops could use them as
> multi-functional test gear?  How many English Heritage and National Trust
> properties could use them to provide multi-media guides for tourists as
> they explore the castles, abbeys, churches, and stately homes of the UK
> (and their equivalents around the world).
>
> How many museums could rent them out as interactive guides?  Or just
> stick them on the occasional pedestal displaying relevant information.
>
> Endless possibilities.
>
> A bit like the Zenith E camera, good enough optics to take excellent
> pictures, cheap enough that if you dropped it off the cliff, then you
> just got another out of your bag!

According to one major Asian source, high production pace could drive the price
down to just 25 quid! Mind the size of the display, the full-sized keyboard,
wireless, etc.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Switch to GNU/Linux. < http://www.getgnulinux.org/ >