Re: [News] D-I-Y Approach: Linux Desktop/Server for Under $250

  • Subject: Re: [News] D-I-Y Approach: Linux Desktop/Server for Under $250
  • From: SomeBloke <stuff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:23:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Build a $250 PC That Doesn't Suck
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | If you're still using a particularly long-in-the-tooth PC, it's likely
> | because you don't have the money to spend on a new machine. We can
> | appreciate that, so we pulled together a desktop that can ably handle
> | today's average demands, built with easy-to-assemble, off-the-shelf
> | components for a total cost of less than $250.
> `----
>
> http://computershopper.com/feature/build-a-250-pc-that-doesnt-suck-200707
>
> Build your own server: Part 2
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The previous article about Ubuntu based file serving hit like a bomb.
> | The main focus of that article was to spark interest and get the server
> | up and running in no time, showing what the possibilities were. Today's
> | article starts where the previous one has left off.
> `----
>
> http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/07/24/build_your_own_better_server/1

Excellent articles on the bit-tech.net site for anyone looking to try a
server for the first time. My first effort some 3 years ago involved a
750Mhz Duron CPU, a Jetway board and a 20Gig drive as a headless web
server. I used Slackware to run it and with Webmin running for admin tasks
I found it a great deal of fun. I used the (then) latest versions of
Apache, MySql and PHP and served up my own software and photo's to a mostly
disinterested planet!

Still, it was great fun, and no hosting charges.