[News] More Reviews of OLPC; Intel's PR Damage Control

  • Subject: [News] More Reviews of OLPC; Intel's PR Damage Control
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 03:06:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Getting to know the OLPC's 'XO'

,----[ Quote ]
| One Laptop Per Child's XO (commonly referred to as the $100 laptop) is
| designed to change the world by bringing computing resources to children in
| the developing world. But the many innovations in the XO may also end up
| changing the world of technology.

Intel PR honcho puts spin on OLPC relationship

,----[ Quote ]
| Paul [Intel President and CEO Paul S. Otellini] and Nick had a meeting. They
| have a mutual friend in John Thornton; John is on the board of directors for
| Intel, and he is a friend of Nick's. I don't know whether John suggested it,
| I don't know if Paul suggested it, I don't know if Nick suggested it. [But]
| Paul and Nick got together, and they had a conversation, and said, "Hey, if
| we can get our staffs to come up with something that would make sense and be
| reasonable for all sides, let's do it."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118185

It's like an abusive huband that apologises after being arrested by the police
for assult on the wife. Well done, Intel. We remember who you are and what you
did...

Related:

Controversy Swirls around OLPC Project

,----[ Quote ]
| However, it now appears that Intel has realized that it's better policy (and
| better public relations) to work with projects like the OLPC rather than
| against them. In fact, on July 13 it was announced that Intel is joining the
| board of the OLPC and will be supporting its efforts to spread low-cost
| computing to children.
|
| With this news, it seemed as if the OLPC had proved its intentions and could
| finally get on with deploying its XO laptops in developing countries.
| However, right about the same time, another titan of old-school computing
| decided to take a few shots at the OLPC and the low-cost XO.

The Intel Betrayal (of Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| And lastly, I have a word for Intel.  Tsk, Tsk!!  Shame on you!
| You're more worried about your profits than your customers, or their
| system security or anything else for that matter.  You're so paranoid
| about losing customers and market share that you'd rather risk a world
| wide digital catastrophe (or even a real one depending on where the
| chips are being used) than to admit your failings.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=264

Intel: Only "Open" for Business

,----[ Quote ]
| These vendors often want a quiet private discussion, because in a
| quiet private discussion they can continue to dismiss the requests and in
| the end do absolutely nothing. They do not want a noisy public
| discussion, because then they look bad. But they DESERVE TO LOOK BAD,
| because they are being bad to those who bought their hardware!
|
| [...]
|
| By withholding, Intel is being an Open Source fraud.
|
| [...]
|
| So let's win back the rights to run the hardware we purchased.
|
| Please feel free to let other open source communities know about this
| matter. Thank you.
`----

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060930232710&mode=expanded

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/