Re: The Old PCs That Modern Linux Still Runs on....

On Jul 24, 4:42 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> ____/ John Locke on Tuesday 24 July 2007 02:30 : \____
>
> > On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 01:44:32 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> >> Linux For An Old Laptop

> > This is becoming more and more prevalent. I wonder just how many old
> > PCs have been raised from the dead or saved from recycle because of the
> > rise of Linux and the fall of Vista ?
>
> Did Vista ever fall? When did it rise?

A while ago I was given an old laptop - I think it had Pentium 3, its
RAM was 128MB and the HDD was 6 whole GB!  Whoo!  It sported a "made
for Windows 98" badge - true cutting edge tech, right?

Anyway, I wiped the hard disk, and installed Ubuntu Breezy (the
current version at the time).  And okay, some apps (OOo especially)
crawled or just repeadedly crashed.  So I installed the xubuntu-
desktop, used abiword for my word processing chores, and the machine
fared fine til I dropped a cup of coffee on it.

For some people, whose main use for a PC is web browsing, email and
looking at photos, this laptop setup would be fine.  And now, with
Vista out there, much snazzier boxes are now deemed by some to be
"past it".  Such machines can be de-Windowfied, a Linux OS instaled,
and they will serve a whole class of computer user for a long time to
come.