Re: [News] Governments Use GNU/Linux Extensively, But Keep it Secret

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 23 July 2007 15:21 : \____

>> Defence ramps up Linux cluster development
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The Department of Defence is developing additional software components for
>>| an existing multi-channel, multi-processor Linux cluster used as an RF test
>>| system.
>>|
>>| Linux and open source software is used widely within Defence, but it has
>>| been less than forthcoming in publicising it.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1711369977;fp;2;fpid;1
>
> I have the feeling that this is true pretty much everywhere.

Yes, that's why I wrote "Governments" in the subject line, not "Aussie
Government". Can you think of a government department that takes pride in its
Windows array? How long before they get scrutinised for having PCs with
sensitive public data hijacked (data theft -> replication -> data pools all
around the world, sold for just a buck per million records). Since many
indicdent go unnoticed/unannounced, it's highly improbably that personal data
about people like us has not travelled the world. All it takes is one of these
remotely exploitable 0-day flaws in Windows. They seem to have several every
month.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Wintendo O/S: which virus do fancy today?
Tasks: 117 total,   1 running, 116 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie