Re: [News] Media Shills Spread Anti-OLPC (Linux) FUD

Tim Smith wrote:

> In article <jseen4-02e.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > This is one among several stories that argue it was FUD.
>> >
>> > http://digg.com/tech_news/100_Laptop_Production_Begins_2
>> >
>> > "The recent reports about children using it for pron is fake. The
>> > children searched for information about AIDS and it was one of the
>> > childrens parents who was browsing pron. Since the children are taking
>> > the laptops home, in the
>> > night, anyone in the family is able to use it. It was reported that the
>> > mom used it to purchase pants on eBay, and the big sister opened an
>> > account on Myspace.
>> >
>> > The bloggers who spread the pron story are pretty lame not to verify
>> > their sources. The originating story was written by someone who wanted
>> > to get traffic and who is personally against the OLPC project, probably
>> > corrupted by
>> > a competitor to spread negative ideas in the bloggosphere."
>> >
>> > Many of Microsoft's shills have been relentlessly using media
>> > 'placements' to
>> > discredit a not-for-profit project that helps children in developing
>> > countries. Just something to be aware of because such greed is
>> > disgraceful...
>> >

>> There is no conscience here - starving children is fine so long as money
>> is made.
>
> Uhm...did you follow the link Roy provided?  He's quoting someone's
> comment on Digg, which provides no source whatsoever for the claim that
> the porn story was wrong.
>
> The porn story did not originate with bloggers.  It originated with the
> News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), which says that one of their reports saw
> the porn on several children's laptops.

Well come on, boys will be boys, of cause they'll have a look, bet you have,
I have, bet we could point at anyone in this news group, hypnotise them and
get a 'Yes I've viewed some porn' out of them.

Have you never heard the kids giggle unexpectedly and gone over to look only
to find after a flurry of activity while you walked over so that they seem
to be giggling at an empty desktop by the time you get there, the quick
flick of the mouse to the 'X' is the modern day hypersensitive right ear,
the one that heard your mum in her slippers on the bottom stair while you
were playing with your john thomas when you were 15.

We've all had a look and so long as it's just kids having a giggle because
they saw their first {fill in a bodily part} then there's no real harm
done.