Re: [News] Chennai Corporation Moves All Computers to OpenOffice.org

> Chennai Corporation opts for Open Office
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| More than 220 computers are networked at the civic headquarters. Officials
>| decided that the licence fee alone would run to a hefty amount and decided to
>| switch over to the open source alternative.
>|
>| A senior official said: ?We are able to do pretty much all we want ? write
>| documents, make presentations and maintain ledgers.?
> `----
>
> http://www.thehindu.com/2007/07/17/stories/2007071751210200.htm

As I and others have mentioned many many times in cola, anyone spending
public money has no business buying proprietary software licences when
there are FLOSS alternatives out there.  We really should be looking for
heads to roll in situations where this is mishandled, such as the BBC,
The British Library and The National Archives, all of which seem to be
spending public money on pointlessly expensive proprietary licences.

> Related:
>
> 100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Simon's official response explained the business rationale behind
>| offering support for OpenOffice.org: "OpenOffice.org has become
>| phenomenally successful, Sun alone has shipped more than 70 million
>| copies of OpenOffice.org 2.0," he said. "Out there, there
>| are maybe 100 million copies of OpenOffice.org. It would be
>| senseless to ignore that opportunity."
> `----
>
> http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/100000000_openo.html

Consider how many copies of open-office have been installed with Ubuntu,
Debian, Red Hat, CentOS, OpenSUSE, knoppix, Elive, etc.  There is a
giant here, just awakening...