Re: OT: Email relay question...

____/ ed on Sunday 22 July 2007 21:33 : \____

> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:00:53 +0100

>> > If that fails there's always Tk and perl modules.
>>
>> Yes, there are more rudimentary methods (with a steeper learning
>> curve), but the paradigm is being killed by the perception that
>> commands are inferior to a single little cursor moving around the
>> screen (with a trigger). Communication with machines changes from
>> language to pointing and grunting (like cavemen).
>
> That's an interesting way of looking at things, that I never thought
> about.

It's Eben Moglen who used this analogy in a recent interview. All credit to
him.

>> But guess what? After a decade of striving to kill the command line,
>> even Microsoft decided that it needed a comeback, which will come in
>> 2008 or 2009.
>
> Well, Monad is potentially a dangerous idea. As I understand it, from
> what little information I watched a while back on channel9 was that
> object code is passed from program to program on the command line...
> That seems like it's crying out for exploitation to me. Unlike text,
> which is far less easy to fool with. Object code on the other hand
> could really mess around.
>
> Monad was meant to be released with the last version of Exchange, or
> the next, I think trials might be available for download. It might be
> something worth looking into, Novel might make their own spin-off.
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell
>
> From the syntax there it looks like there's some heavy perl influence
> on that, similarity to subs and -gt for instance.
>
> Still looks bastardised.

I was delayed because of some serious security issues (at the least),
discovered by some Austrian guy.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | How I learned to stop worrying and love GNU/Linux
Tasks: 135 total,   1 running, 133 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie