Re: [News] Fedora Linux Suitable for the Experienced User

  • Subject: Re: [News] Fedora Linux Suitable for the Experienced User
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:26:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Fedora 7 for the office

The entire basis for his long-winded rant, is that Fedora did not
provide proprietary Windows drivers (with a wrapper) for his WiFi
card, out of the box.

I read the other Blog post too, where he concludes that Fedora is not
suitable for home use because:

. It allows you to modify the package selection??? Is he one of those
  anti-choice nuts?
. Again ... he expects a Free Software distro to redistribute binary
  blobs for his closed-spec hardware.
. Although he admits his "frankencomputer" is severely b0rked, it is
  still somehow Fedora's fault.
. Again, the entire crux of his rant seems to be because of a WiFi card,
  which at the end of the day he did manage to get working anyway,
  simply by enabling the third-party repos for non-Free software.

Naturally he completely fails to mention that those third-party repos
can be added *during installation* (oh good God, more "choice", call the
Choice Police), and therefore his precious proprietary drivers would
have worked out the box.

If he wants proprietary solutions, then by all means he should stick
with Ubuntu, or better yet just switch back to Windows, then he can have
all the proprietary software he so feverishly desires.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Computer games don’t affect kids, I mean if Pac man affected us as
| kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills
| and listening to repetitive music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
 11:25:14 up 21 days, 10:19,  4 users,  load average: 1.47, 1.62, 1.54