Re: [News] [OSS] Open Source Makes a Strong Case, Even for Proprietary Software Companies

  • Subject: Re: [News] [OSS] Open Source Makes a Strong Case, Even for Proprietary Software Companies
  • From: Robin T Cox <nomail@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:52:17 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:49:14 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Autodesk University: Glimpses of a Bright Future
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Chris Bradshaw is Autodesk's Vice President of Infrastructure
> | Solutions Division, which has been an exciting post in recent
> | years. The connectivity advances LandML, .DWF, MapGuide Open
> | Source may end up transforming infrastructure work
> | dramatically, and Civil3D, under his watch, is turning into
> | a truly comprehensive product.
> `----
>
> http://www.amerisurv.com/content/view/3737/
>
> Consultants hold an influential SOA role, and the vendors are a courtin' it
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Open source alternatives will makes some teams strong, and the market
> | will decide. The market may well also contribute back to the open source
> | code base, more than it would a commercial vendor alone.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2479
>

> Related:
>
> Autodesk F1Q08 (Qtr End 4/30/07) Earnings Call Transcript
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As customers continue to transition away from proprietary high-end
> | SGI workstations, revenue from our Linux based solutions continues
> | to show strong growth. In fact this quarter, nearly 90% of our
> |                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> | systems product revenue was Linux based. Overall, I'm very
> | pleased with our performance this quarter.
> `----
>
> http://seekingalpha.com/article/35916?source=feed

When you think about it, Microsoft's really bright idea was to turn us all
into testers for their products.

It hardly takes a genius to predict that, having got a taste of this, the
user community might start wondering why they have to depend on Microsoft
at all. Far smarter to develop their own OS and software, and to test that.