[News] [Rival] Microsoft Proves It Must NEVER Be Run on Mission-Critical Systems

ATM with Pirated Windows [with photos]

,----[ Quote ]
| In Russian you can sometimes meet pirated copy of Windows even
| on ATM. It warns that this copy of Windows need activation and
| the work of ATM gets interrupted.
`----

http://englishrussia.com/?p=981#more-981

We have always joked about it when we first heard about WGA. This is a
classic. Nuclear submarines with Hollywood-like DRM system right inside the
kernel...?

I'm catching up with some old Windows news now. For laughs, I've also found
this new photo of a cute little puppy pissing on Windows...

http://www.idiotbrain.com/wp-content/20265_s__pozitiv_1.jpg

Related:

Open source use expanding in mission critical apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Perceptions still dog open source, such as the lack of support
| services or security, but these attitudes in corporate IT are
| changing, according to Forrester.
`----

http://www.echannelline.com/usa/story.cfm?item=21981

Linux in Healthcare

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux in healthcare is a tale of things seen and unseen. Linux/Open
| Source have enjoyed tremendous popularity in embedded systems and
| networks for major technologies used in healthcare that healthcare
| providers may not even be aware of.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/3215/

Forrester: Open source is everywhere, and increasingly used for
mission-critical applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Forrester just issued an insightful report on the increasing adoption
| of open source in the enterprise. The verdict? Open source is everywhere,
| and taking an ever-increasing piece of the enterprise pie
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/05/forrester_open_1.html

Open Source Slowly Gains Momentum on Wall Street

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers may be comfortable using Linux for infrastructure-type
| systems but less so for business software, said Monica Kumar,
| senior director of product manager for Linux and open-source
| software at Oracle.
`----

http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=20569

Linux Crossing Threshold to Real Mission Critical Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Linux developers are steadily chipping away at the most
| significant functional gaps that limited its suitability for
| these workloads in the past, allowing it to progress far beyond the
| "edge of network" domain where it has traditionally thrived. The
| impressive wins by Novell and Red Hat prove that user perceptions
| about Linux's limitations are gradually crumbling as well.
`----

http://ideasint.blogs.com/ideasinsights/2007/04/linux_crossing_.html

Linux goes to Wall Street, puts on a show

,----[ Quote ]
| "The Financial Services firms are leading the enterprise adoption of
| open source technology, including Linux," says Zachary. "By watching
| the consumption patterns of these firms, open source vendors can
| gain a good understanding of the types of products and services
| that are commercially viable.
|
| [...]
|
| "We see a growing role for open source software beyond Linux in
| financial services companies and that's why many companies are
| expanding the governance policies and procedures around using
| open source software."
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/22/1310216&from=rss

Next Gen, Mission-Critical Apps To Be Deployed on Linux Says Report

,----[ Quote ]
| By now it should be obvious to even the most casual industry observers
| that Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general -
| have reached critical marketplace mass. Recent Linux deals and
| announcements by Oracle and Microsoft have only reinforced the "open
| source is enterprise-grade" message that IBM, Unisys and other "Master
| Brand" hardware, software and services vendors have been preaching for
| years. In short, open source, especially Linux, is becoming "legitimized"
| by the major vendors for enterprise environments, and user executives
| are more than happy to believe them.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/RoundUp/Next_Gen_MissionCritical_Apps_To_Be_Deployed_on_Linux_Says_Report

CIO study finds Linux ready for prime-time

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7681