[News] [Linux] Another Indian State Chooses Linux PCs, Gives Microsoft the Boot

Open-source bites into Microsoft share in Bengal e-gov

,----[ Quote ]
| Having tried out Microsoft for a few years, the West Bengal
| government's information technology department is now opting
| for open-source operating systems in new purchases of PCs for
| its ambitious e-governance programme.
|
| The state recently chose to install Lenovo PCs loaded with Red
| Hat Linux for an e-governance programme involving 277
| panchayats in Burdwan district.
`----

http://in.news.yahoo.com/070608/48/6gteu.html

Also today:

Open Source centre to come up in Bengal

,----[ Quote ]
| A regional centre for Open Source Software Development will be set
| up by the West Bengal government with an investment of Rs two crore.
`----

http://www.newkerala.com/news5.php?action=fullnews&id=37377

Sucks to be Microsoft right now...

Recent:

Linux gets clicking in TN govt projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The global debate of proprietary software versus open source has
| caught up in the government agencies in Tamil Nadu too. However,
| open-source Linux operating system (OS) seems to have found its
| way into almost all the upcoming government IT projects.
`----

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=165633

PC resellers strike against Microsoft in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Stop harassment over piracy or we move to Linux...
|
| [...]
|
| "We have been approached by dealers in other states who are also
| being harassed by Microsoft," Randeri said. "If Microsoft does
| not cooperate, we will tell our dealers to migrate to Linux."
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/it-business/supplier-relations/news/index.cfm?newsid=3114

Related:

India can live without Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 6,500 Linux systems have already been packed off to
| villages and another 6,100 Acer desktop systems with Suse on
| their way.
|
| Umashankar said that more than 20,000 desktop systems will be
| installed in schools that will only run on Suse. All ELCOT
| servers will run on Redhat. ELCOT expects to train 30,000
| government officials in Linux and Open Office too.

Tamil Nadu (India) Shutting the Door On Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "The managing director of the IT procurement, consulting, and training
| agency for the Tamil Nadu government describes the reasons why he has
| chosen OSS, and also how he dealt with Microsoft executives."
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/03/0226229&from=rss

Kerala On Linux Express Highway

,----[ Quote ]