[News] [OSS] Patents Trolling Recognised as a Problem, USPTO Reform Impending

Law Blog Q&A: Sun Microsystems GC Mike Dillon

,----[ Quote ]
| The area of software patents is where you see most
| of the troll activity. Twenty years ago you weren't
| able to patent software. As a result of the dot com
| crash, you see software patents out there that are
| being bought up for no other purpose than to derive
| revenues from companies. These aren't inventors but
| are mostly lawyers and investors seeking a quick
| return. These patents in most cases are not being
| used to create products and innovation which is what
| our Founding Fathers had in mind when they
| established the patent system.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2007/05/17/law-blog-qa-sun-microsystems-gc-mike-dillon/

US patent system braced for a shake-up

,----[ Quote ]
| Jon Dudas, director of the United States Patent and
| Trademark Office, says applicants currently have a
| lot of discretion in how much information they
| provide to explain why their invention qualifies
| for patent protection. At present, he says, applications
| are made with widely varying amounts of information,
| ranging from "almost nothing" to what he describes
| as "malicious compliance"...
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/06/07/uspto_shake_up/

Qualcomm will seek stay, reversal of ITC decision

,----[ Quote ]
| Qualcomm Inc.'s chief executive said on Thursday that
| the company would ask the Bush administration to
| overturn an order... Another company official said
| Qualcomm was looking for ways to design around the
| patent at issue, owned by Broadcom Inc.
`----

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=tnBusinessNews&storyID=2007-06-07T230826Z_01_WEN8666_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESS-QUALCOMM-BROADCOM-APPEAL-DC.XML
http://tinyurl.com/23z5j3

More here (plenty on the need for a reform in the news, which is good for
Linux because it kills the unfounded fear about long-term consequences):

Patent office to test peer review of tech patents

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1124616183&rid=-50