[News] [Linux] Xandros: No Patent Problems in Linux; PG and Xandros Are 'Microsoft Buddies'

Another Patent Protection Deal for Microsoft [But Xandros Changes Mind]

,----[ Quote ]
| When asked directly during the interview Monday whether Typaldos
| believes that Linux has violated 235 Microsoft patents, he said,
| "I'm not going to say; I don't know the patents Microsoft is
| talking about...I don't know the specifics" of the alleged
| violations. At the time of the interview, David Kaefer,
| Microsoft's general manager for IP and licensing, was
| part of the call.
|
| Within a half-hour of the end of the interview, Typaldos
| left a voice message for this reporter in which he said,
| "I wanted to make it very clear that your question about
| 'Do I think that Linux is infringing on Microsoft
| patents'? The answer is a categorical no. The answer is no."
`----

http://redmondmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=8654

It's like Novell all over again. They realise that the wrath of the GPL (and
some of the clients) will hit them and their fear and greed are set aside.
So what are they paying Microsoft Linux royalties for? Xandros is connected
to Microsoft through Corel's money (investment). Just follow the money.

Microsoft Linux-patent FUD seeps into devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and LG have been partners since 2004.

It appears as though Microsoft may have never counted patents, but instead
relied on the report below.

Author rejects Microsoft's use of his report in veiled open source threat

,----[ Quote ]
| The author of a report used by Microsoft as evidence of open source
| patent infringement has said that his report means the opposite of
| what Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said it means.
`----

http://www.out-law.com/page-8052

Is Microsoft secretly paying the managers?

This latest move is a futile attempt to scare embedded Linux developers. LG
has been a Microsoft partner since 2004, so it doesn't mind sharing the 'FUD
club'. According to a very recent survey, fear of patents is at an all-time
low (and quickly declining).

,----[ Quote ]