Re: Microsoft to add a new state (NY) to their list of bribes, errr, "lobbying".

__/ [ Linonut ] on Thursday 07 June 2007 21:22 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ramon F Herrera belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> M$ was able to get rid of two Massachusetts CIOs who didn't follow
>> Redmond's orders.
>>
>> It will be interesting to see whether they can also bribe the NY
>> lawmakers and IT decision makers. Hopefully RoAnn Destito will not end
>> up in the growing M$ payroll.
>>
>> -Ramon
>>
>> http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9726976-7.html?tag=nefd.only
>>
>> "New York bill explores 'vendor neutral' electronic documents
>> Posted by Martin LaMonica
>>
>> New York appears to be the latest state concerned with the long-term
>> accessibility of its digital documents.
>
> Ironically, in a recent New Yorker, there was an article about Gordon
> Bell of Microsoft Research, who wears a camera that automatically snaps
> pictures at intervals.  He has a large collection of pictures and
> scanned memoribilia that describe his life.
>
> The funny thing was that he expressed a worry about being able to read
> the data formats long term.
>
> It didn't even occur to him that they will always be readable if they
> are in an open format.

How many man years would it take him to browse his collection of data? These
things are pointless. With the Internet, the amount of data you can access
is vast. It's also searchable. Personal collections are drowned in a big
sea.

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
 10:20pm  up 40 days  6:42,  9 users,  load average: 1.62, 1.37, 1.09