[News] [SOT] The Problem with Greed and Why DRM is Bound to Disappear

Ed Whitacre: Gone But Not Forgotten

,----[ Quote ]
| "There's a problem. It's called Net Neutrality," Whitacre told the heirs
| to AT&T's telecommunications empire. "Well, frankly, we say to hell
| with that. We're gonna put up some toll booths and start charging
| admission."
|
| [...]
|
| Despite claims of poverty whenever pressed to offer better services, these
| AT&T execs are privately gloating over more than $35 billion in gross
| profits over the last 12 months.
`----

http://www.savetheinternet.com/blog/2007/06/05/ed-whitacre-gone-but-not-forgotten/

Why DRM won't ever work

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately, he also pointed out that the US government also seems
| to be living in this fantasy world -- and, to a lesser extent, the
| UK government. One of the most misguided things going on in the world
| at the moment is the attempt by the US government to force other
| countries to adopt what they call US-style "Intellectual Property Rights".
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6189011.html

Related:

Is Microsoft no longer a member of ItsOurNet? Trouble in paradise?

,----[ Quote ]
| On the ItsOurNet.org website under "The coalition" section, Microsoft
| is no longer on the list of: "These organizations support legislation
| to achieve net neutrality:"
`----

http://www.precursorblog.com/node/206

Microsoft's 'Naughty or Nice' Patent Application

,----[ Quote ]
| "Those of you worried about Microsoft's stance on network neutrality
| won't find much comfort in the software giant's just-published patent
| application..."
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/25/0555222&from=rss

The Land of "Nothing for free"