Re: Dell removes hardware warranty from Ubuntu ..

Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Interesting.  It would appear that Microsoft have worked very hard
> indeed to pressurise Dell into offering something less for the linux
> side.  The article referenced above is amazing - top quality FUD from
> Dell.   I see no reason why anyone would want to buy any kind of PC at
> all from Dell, if this is the way they intend to treat their customers.

Possibly, though it could also just be a side effect of how quickly
they rushed this Ubuntu strategy into production (I seem to remember
it was a three month timeline).  Perhaps they just haven't had time
to retool their Complete Care offering, make new scripts for the
call center and so on.  Hopefully they will do it as they get more
feedback from Ideastorm with people actually wanting it.

Heck, I expect Complete Care is a real money maker for them, and
would be even more so with Linux (which tends to have tech savvy
users and less problems with malware).  If enough people want it,
i expect Dell will fashion something equivalent for their Ubuntu
systems.

Later,

Thad