Re: Microsoft are having a PS2 moment

__/ [ alt ] on Tuesday 05 June 2007 04:39 \__

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 00:47:06 +0000, alt wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 22:41:00 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Competitiveness at the marketing/litigious level is Microsoft's strength.
>>> They cannot compete at the technical level because good engineers refuse
>>> to work for that company.
>>
>> I think that many good engineers worked for them in the past during the
>> win3x/WinNT 3.5 days. I'll bet the last of their good engineers left
>> shortly after Win2k and during WinXP and now what you see in Vista is the
>> result of that net emigration.
>>
>> The fact is, Microsoft may have been a good company at one time, but now
>> they are just a marketing machine (as you and others have said) with no
>> technical expertise.
>
> I should correct myself. Microsoft has some technical expertise, but I
> think their expertise is not as good as it was when they wrote Win2k
> (arguably their best OS).

I suppose that around the antitrust action, a lot of the original
contributors may have left. It explains why the development since Windows 9*
has been so limited and the code simply unmaintainable. The company became a
victim of its own dirty tactics and bad image.

--
                ~~ Enjoying summertime

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
roy      pts/3                         Mon Jun  4 10:49 - 10:53  (00:04)