[News] [Rival] Company Stuck Due to Microsoft Patent Deal, Another Loss for Software Patents

Timeline: Court rules Microsoft patent deal can't be terminated

,----[ Quote ]
| Timeline Inc. said a U.S court has ruled that the company's patent
| agreement with Microsoft Corp. cannot be terminated, and that
| Timeline's remedy for any alleged breaches would be to seek damages.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070604:MTFH22685_2007-06-04_10-54-25_WNAS3019&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/2xb83a

Raytheon inventions are programs and not patentable

,----[ Quote ]
| The High Court has backed the Comptroller General of Patents in refusing
| a company a patent for inventions which were computer programs.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/04/raytheon_patent_denial/

Related:

Kill the patents, kill the problem

,----[ Quote ]
| Whatever Novell's motivations in its dealing with Microsoft and
| subsequently with the EFF, the fact remains that if software
| patents are shown to be the harmful and counterproductive
| mistake we believe them to be, the industry will benefit in
| many ways. The community must remain united with this in mind.
| Nothing else matters.
`----

http://opinion.zdnet.co.uk/leader/0,1000002208,39287268,00.htm?r=2

The Patent Puzzle