[News] [Linux] Mark Pigrim Satisfied with GNU/Linux, Having Ditched Mac OS X

One year with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Any modern Linux distribution presents a good "out of the box"
| experience, with friendly defaults and familiar metaphors. But a
| year ago, several people recommended that I try alternative window
| managers, and at the time, I didn't understand why. Now I do. It's
| difficult to explain. People say that Ruby On Rails is
| "opinionated software." I suppose all software reflects the opinions
| of its authors, but some are certainly more opinionated than others,
| and window managers, as a class, are more opinionated than most. If
| you have strong opinions about software -- and I do -- then it is
| worth your time to find software that shares them.)
|
| [...]
|
| One year later, I look back on comments like this, and I just
| laugh. Sorry, Anonymous Commenter, you couldn't have been more wrong.
| You got it exactly backwards. When your operating system finally
| comes with a package management system that is both comprehensive
| and extensible, you will of course be welcomed... to the 1990s.
| In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy my time with Linux.
`----

http://diveintomark.org/archives/2007/06/02/one-year-with-linux

This will make some big ripples. The guy is very influential and he is one
among several reputable figures that ditch Apple and don't even look at
Windows.