Re: [Linux] Why the Command Line Approach (Still) Beats the GUI

Back shortly before Microsoft was Microsoft, what was going
on in the discussions?  I think much of that work centered
around how to do things differently and as incompatibly as
possible, from unix.  Hence Microsoft even today, avoids
monospace fonts wherever possible; uses really clumsy
editors that make oversize files with multiple quantities of
hidden characters; and fills in large amounts of
carefully written PR telling its users how "helpful" the
Microsoft way is.  And etc etc.

And one of the things that had to go, was command-line
shells.  Too quick, too effective and simple and useful, for
the Microsoft way.  But Microsoft could use something
about command-line: that to the user who has not had a
few minutes of support, it *looks* mysterious and difficult.
Which was all Microsoft needed to divert users into their
wretched dark forest of "tools."

And of course, Microsoft didn't stop there ... I think their
major problem is the users around the world are hearing
here and there of better ways to do things, based upon
the unix style.  Which expectably leads to a slow and
irreversible dribbling-away of users out of the Microsoft
prison ...oops, camp.

Cheers -- Martha Adams