Re: [News] [Linux] Production of Millions of Linux Laptops on Its Way

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] Production of Millions of Linux Laptops on Its Way
  • From: Rafael <rafael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 01:03:15 +0900
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Reason Why Schools Should Adopt Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Can I Import My Previous Work Into Linux? Consider this: you have
| document after document tied up into formats, such as Outlook, MS
| Publisher and so on. Now, with Outlook, I "believe" the data can be
| exported without too much trouble. But last time I checked, your
| Publisher files were stuck as is, period. So it's fair to say
| that challenges like this can indeed, seem like a deal breaker
| for some users. I mean come on, this is  not a solution and the
| fact that Publisher is so commonly used in the Windows world is
| certainly not helping anyone. This issue would seem trivial to
| most of us, but to those who just installed Linux, it can prove
| to be frustrating. `----

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7802

Mozilla Thunderbird Mail can import Outlook 2003 E-mail data base (the .pst file, usually outlook.pst). I gave it a shot one night, voila! I was pleasantly surprised.

This is why Open Document formats are important. It maintains a sense of vendor independence.

--
Cheers, Rafael

http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile/anti_troll_faq.htm