[News] [OSS] Interview with Google's Open Source Chief, Google Keeps Playing Politics

Chris DiBona, Google's open source chief

,----[ Quote ]
| Google does use open source a lot - our servers, for example - it
| gets used in different parts of our tools. That's what our office
| in the open source group is tasked with. We also run events like
| the Summer of Code - we'll have 917 students coming to work on
| projects this year. And then there's just internal code release -
| over the last year we estimate that we've put out around 1 million
| lines of code for everyone. The idea is to bring the open source
| ethos into everything we do.
`----

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/archives/2007/06/01/chris_dibona_googles_open_source_chief.html
http://tinyurl.com/3am2k9

Google Hires Former DOJ Lawyer to Lobby

,----[ Quote ]
| Under a federal law enacted in 1995, lobbyists are required to
| disclose activities that could influence members of the
| executive and legislative branches. They must register
| with Congress within 45 days of being hired or engaging in lobbying.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070601/google_lobbying.html?.v=2

Not good.

Related:

Google to recruit a bevy of Europeans lobbyists

,----[ Quote ]
| Google, the search engine heavyweight, is no longer prepared to
| stay out of the business of fashioning the political environment
| for decisions made in Europe. For lobbying work on its behalf the
| company is at present searching in numerous large European cities
| for politics-savvy lawyers; one such "European Policy Counsel"
| position will be available in Hamburg/Berlin.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/87158/from/rss09

Don't mess with Google's astroturf squad

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/14/google_lobby/