[News] [Rival] Microsoft Gets in Some Trouble Over Profiling of People

Microsoft's Web user research in China draws concern

,----[ Quote ]
| But Reporters Without Borders said in its statement that, "These
| technologies could eventually lead to the creation of programst
| hat could identify 'subversive' citizens. This is obviously not
| Microsoft's intention. But we believe it is unacceptable to
| carry out this kind of sensitive research in a country such
| as China where 50 people are currently in prison because of
| what they posted online."
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsofts-web-user-research-china/story.aspx?guid=%7BECDD94D2%2D34D8%2D4D0E%2D861B%2D292B31568732%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/34ljd6

Related:

New software can identify you from your online habits

,----[ Quote ]
| That is the spectre raised by new research conducted by Microsoft.
| The computing giant is developing software that could accurately
| guess your name, age, gender and potentially even your location,
| by analysing telltale patterns in your web browsing history. But
| experts say the idea is a clear threat to privacy - and may be
| illegal in some places.
`----

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article.ns?id=mg19426046.400&feedId=being-human_rss20
http://tinyurl.com/2lrazk

Microsoft Shuts Down Netscan (Usenet groups Analytics Tool)

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Netscan system has been scanning and collection activity
| of all newsgroups since 1999 but unfortunately, things are about
| to change.
`----

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/05/microsoft-shuts-down-netscan-usenet.html

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]
| "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
| Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."

Data Protection Commissioner criticizes search of private PCs online

,----[ Quote ]
| "In the case of a search via the Internet a police officer covertly,
| without the person knowing about it, accesses a person's computer."
| During such an operation he or she might copy data and obtain all
| kinds of personal documents; the police officer was acting as a "state
| hacker," so to speak. Mr. Schaar observed. "Such an approach is in
| conflict with the legal obligation to protect the core of
| individuals' privacy," Mr. Schaar stated emphatically.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82529/from/rss09

Could Hollywood hack your PC?

,----[ Quote ]