Re: Wine Strategy - Run Older Non-MS Win Apps - Deny MS New Funds

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 31 May 2007 16:38 \__

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070529-microsoftnovell-agreement-may-exclude-patent-protection-for-wine-openoffice.html

>>> I'll admit to some curiosity as to how contract law might
>>> play in this space.  What, exactly, is an application
>>> procedure interface?
>>>
>>> It's a promise.  Call this routine, and certain things
>>> happen.
>>>
>>> Does it make sense to forbid an alternate implementation
>>> of a promise?
>>>
>>> My brain hurts.
>>
>> Mine as well.
>>
>> Solution at hand with Linux eating Windows for a snack.
>
> WinE is indeed an interesting solution, at that. :-) Works
> very well with IE6, for those of us unfortunate enough to
> have to use it because certain web-based applications are
> too BRAIN-DEAD TO HANDLE MOZZIECOOKIES!  :-)
>
> *ahem*
>
> Anyway,
>
> http://www.winehq.org/
> http://www.ies4linux.org/
>
> I'll admit I'm of two minds about such solutions (on the
> one hand, they provide an interesting and useful out,
> but on the other hand they could be a crutch).  But WinE
> does work nicely.

As Shane says (he co-edits with me in a Web site), Microsoft is scared of
Wine because it makes Windows obsolete. People can even run Office under
Linux. OpenOffice is another huge risk to one of the only cash cows because
it makes Office obsolete. That's why Microsoft had them excluded and
Novell's lawyer blindly signed the papers. Luckily, GPLv3 will change all of
this. Microsoft must be banging its head against the wall right now. All the
'placements' and shill they sent to the media could not reverse and hinder
the inevitable.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    WARNING: /dev/null running out of space