Re: Open Source Group Spares Novell

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Friday 01 June 2007 03:19 \__

http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=22461&hed=Open+Source+Group+Spares+Novell

>> The Free Software Foundation said Thursday its soon-to-be?released
> open-source software license won?t punish Linux distributor Novell for
> signing a cooperation pact with Microsoft.
>>
>> The foundation, which has rights to software that makes up the Linux
> operating system, had raised concerns about the cooperation pact, but said
> it would allow Novell and Microsoft to develop and distribute software
> under the new license because that would provide more protection to the
> open-source community.
>>
>> The group believes that allowing Novell to develop software under the new
> general public license, known as GPLv3?and letting Microsoft distribute
> that software?could extend patent protection to recipients of that
> software.
>>
>> The foundation made its decision two weeks after Microsoft claimed that
> Linux and other open-source software violate 235 of its patents (see
> Microsoft Stokes Linux Fears). Critics decried the claim, saying Microsoft
> was trying to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt among companies and others
> that might use versions of Linux other than Novell?s SUSE Linux.

I have received a reply from an anonymous-yet-reputable source (anonymous by
preference):

'The first story [Finkle] is a lie. There never was a "decision" about this.
Reuters started it with a bigger lie that a decision would be announced. Now
this.

They made it all up.'

Reuters have done a lot of 'mouthpiece-ing' recently, including the anti-FSF
headlines. Why am I not surprised?

http://boycottnovell.com/2007/03/28/media-vs-linux/

Also see:

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12554&Itemid=1091

"But if the Reuters report is correct - and Reuters has proved to be
extremely unreliable on this subject in the past - then the FSF could
reasonably be accused of a volte-face.

I've asked Richard Stallman to comment on the report."

Microsoft sockpuppet at work.

Other cases where Reuters deceived and showed anti-FSF bias:

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 142 total,   1 running, 137 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie