Re: [News] [Rival] Help! There is Some NSA in My PC (Windows)

"Ian Hilliard" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> "Trusted" Computing
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Do you imagine that any US Linux distributor would say no to the
>> | US government if they were requested (politely, of course) to add
>> | a back-door to the binary Linux images shipped as part of their
>> | products ? Who amongst us actually uses the source code so helpfully
>> | given to us on the extra CDs to compile our own version ? With
>> | Windows of course there are already so many back-doors known and
>> | unknown that the US government might not have even bothered to
>> | ask Microsoft, they may have just found their own, ready to
>> | exploit at will. What about Intel or AMD and the microcode on
>> | the processor itself ?
>> `----
>>
>> http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/164
>>

> Here is the major difference between Windows an Linux. If a backdoor is
> found in Windows, somewhere down the line, Microsoft may issue a patch to
> close the door. At the same time, they are likely to have opened a
> replacement door.
>
> If it were ever to come out that a Linux vendor had put in a back door,
> within days if not hours there would be a replacement kernel or
> application
> for download. Being open source, it is possible for anyone with a bit of
> know-how to remove the back door. With closed source that is not possible.
>

> The other thing is that that vendor would lose all credibility with its
> customers. The customers would go else where, leaving the company to go
> broke. People expect a higher level of ethics from Linux vendors.

Yeah. That's why Microsoft has the most to lose if backdoors were ever found
in Windows.

Fact is that IBM, Exxon, Sun, Oracle, world governments and most every
business on the planet runs Windows. If it were proven that Microsoft has
installed secret back doors into the OS where they or someone else could spy
on users there would be a big price to pay. First of all Microsoft would
likely have to pay lawsuits that would bankrupt the company and it's
doubtful they would ever get business from any of their customers.

Sure, Microsoft certainly has the most to lose. Tens and hundreds of
billions of dollars. This guarantees there's no secret backdoor in Windows
because it simply isn't worth it. And if there were a back door, someone
would have certainly discovered it by now.

Another damn lintard.