Re: [News] [Linux] Torvalds Likes Tivoization, GPLv3 Misconceptions Rebutted

____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 20 June 2007 15:35 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> < snip >
>
>> Don't get me wrong, I admire Linus Torvalds. I just see him insulting a
>> lot of people. The GNOME incident was a very nasty example.
>>

> Nope, it wasn't.
> He chided Gnome for dumbing down its usability and config options.
> It is never a really good idea to give users less options, and doing so
> increasingly with new releases
> He said that the other way, like KDE does, is the better one
> It is his opinion, and I happen to share it.
> I like KDE a lot more *because* it is much more configurable than Gnome
> In the past I used Gnome too, but now I don't have it even installled
> anymore, just the needed libraries to run Gnome apps

I happen to know people who love GNOME and cannot stand KDE. They say KDE is
ugly (which I strongly disagree with because KDE is anything you want it to
be), inconsistent, and confusing. Given one's ability to mess it up and not
know how to revert back to normal, I still think of it as power users'
favourite. Sure, the menus are now more organised ("Advanced", levelling,
wizards) and there are many bottoms called "Default", there are descriptions,
and even bubbles/tooltips... still, it can be daunting. Just look at kcontrol
(Control Center) and then look at GNOME. For new users, less is more. Some
people just want to check their E-mail (e.g. Yahoo Mail in Firefox) and read
the BBC Web site.

You still haven't addressed his tactless choice of words. There are gentle ways
to make a point. He could, like you, simply say "Gnome dumbs down its
usability and config options". Godwin's law isn't even near here...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I blame God for making me an atheist"