[News] [OSS] Cisco CEO Acknowledges Importance of Open Source and Open Content

  • Subject: [News] [OSS] Cisco CEO Acknowledges Importance of Open Source and Open Content
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:39:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Chambers: We're Not Plumbers Anymore

| by internetnews.com Chambers responded, "I think that open source or
| open content is the future. You want to be able to create your own
| content and we want to do that empowerment."
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3684241#49977821313266324796

Cisco bought a couple of social media companies recently, but will this be
enough to  defeat Linux routers that are open? What about open content?

Citizen journalism innovation using open source methodology

,----[ Quote ]
| “What I like about HULIQ.com is the possibility to use the open
| source methodology to tap on the unlimited resource of public
| journalism,” continues Helge.
`----

http://www.huliq.com/blog/admin/06/19/2007/citizen-journalism-innovation-using-open-source-methodology#810088711395918233

Tough time ahead for big media and proprietary software. They'll get aggressive
and try to evolve. They already try, but they fail to keep the same revenue
streams. Control is being decentralised.

Related:

Partner Progam: Vyatta Partner Program To Accelerate Adoption Of Open-Source
Networking

,----[ Quote ]
| "Developing our Vyatta Ready partner program is an important step in
| the rapid growth of our global partner ecosystem, which we believe
| will make our Linux-based networking solution a standard fixture
| in growing networks and data centers around the world," said Keith
| Hartley, vice president of alliances at Vyatta.
`----

http://www.itreselleronline.com/content/news/article.asp?docid=ffc059ac-bca4-4d4a-bc27-de0e3b34a69c&atc~c=771+s=773+r=001+l=a&VNETCOOKIE=NO

Open source and secret sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source router outperforming Cisco device in test revives the
| "commodity" vs. "special purpose" debate
|
| [...]
|
| Marketing trumped technology, however. Competitors would say "you don't
| want to trust your network to a PC" -- even though it really wasn't a PC.
| And FUD prevailed. Today we can expect to hear the same comments made in
| reference to open source. Will they work this time?
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2007/041107tolly.html?fsrc=rss-ibm

Comcast invests in Vyatta, open source router maker

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has raised a total of $18.5 million so far. The
| investment indicates that cable carriers are getting serious
| about chasing the small and medium sized businesses, and
| competing with the telephone companies in more than just
| consumer markets.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2007/04/01/vyatta-comcast/

Free Linux router distro gains sophisticated QoS

,----[ Quoye ]
| A small, Linux router distribution for x86 has added QoS
| (quality-of-service) management features claimed capable of
| classifying packets regardless of port. The 1.0.beta4 release
| of Zeroshell now includes QoS software from the open source
| "L7-filter" project, along with a QoS management interface.
|
| Zeroshell is available as a live CD or bootable CompactFlash
| (512MB) image. It includes a Web-based user interface, and
| supports many advanced features; see our earlier coverage
| for specifics.

Vyatta Delivers Twice the Performance of Cisco at Half the Price

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta today announced the release of independent third-party testing
| results from The Tolly Group that measured the throughput and
| performance of the open-source, x86-based Vyatta router and
| firewall appliance versus the proprietary Cisco 2821 ISR.
|
| "This report shatters the myth that proprietary hardware products
| are a better choice than standard x86-based systems for network
| infrastructure," said Dave Roberts, VP of strategy and marketing
| at Vyatta. "For the majority of routing applications, open-source
| software and x86-based hardware can easily address the performance
| requirements and at significantly lower price points."
`----

http://www.topix.net/content/prweb/2794294903426800112404643709233288209670

Will an open source router replace your Cisco router?

,----[ Quote ]
| By using VMware, I was able to get this new router up in less than 30
| minutes--as promised by the evaluation guide. In fact, half of that time
| came from downloading the file. In addition, I ended up reading some of the
| guide to learn the default login and the basics of the user interface.
|
| In my opinion, Vyatta shows a lot of promise. While I'm not recommending
| throwing out Cisco routers in favor of Vyatta just yet, spending 30 minutes
| to familiarize yourself with what it can do is a smart idea.
`----

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-6163569.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=tr
http://tinyurl.com/37zkvp

Open source router on par with Cisco, users say

,----[ Quote ]
| "I'd say that any PC we could put [Vyatta OFR] on today is going to be
| way faster than Cisco. I would not be doing backbone routing with this,
| but I would not hesitate to say this will compete against Cisco
| either," Newnam said. "Well, as long as we're not switching half of
| the U.S. of course."
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1218088,00.html

University dumps Cisco VOIP for open-source Asterisk

,----[ Quote ]
| SHSU is in the process of moving its 6,000 students, faculty and staff off
| of Cisco CallManager IP PBXs and a legacy Nortel Meridian PBX over to Linux
| servers running Asterisk...
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1646405846;fp;4;fpid;78268965

Dumping Cisco for open-source