[News] [Rival] Microsoft Admits Antitrust Guilt, 'Fix' Won't Come Soon Though

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Admits Antitrust Guilt, 'Fix' Won't Come Soon Though
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 06:16:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft to address Google search complaint in Vista SP1

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is promising to deliver a number of the required changes as
| part of Service Pack 1 of Windows Vista. A beta of that service pack,
| according to the status report, will be out before the end of this year.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=524

Be aware that they knew about it a long time ago, but they got greedy and
decided to cheat (see links at bottom). They are afraid of Google because it
now enters the enterprise. Microsoft knows it. The company even said to Google
that it was stealing food out of their mouths. See:

Google's back-up plan: the enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| Asked at a press conference Tuesday if Google is thinking about an
| alternative business plan for 5 to 10 years out, Chairman and CEO
| Eric Schmidt didn't miss a beat: "We are, and that's why we have
| Google Enterprise," he said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1761895540&rid=-50

Google offers security blacklists to all

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Monday released to outside developers the same security API currently
used by its own Google Desktop and Mozilla's Firefox for warding off phishing
and malware-dropping Web sites.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1470331998&rid=-50

Again, it's free. Revenue streams and paradigms are changing while Microsoft
fails to evolve.

Related:

Google Vista concerns no surprise to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| However, a person familiar with the matter said that Microsoft
| was made aware of Google's concerns about its desktop search via a
| telephone call from the Justice Department in early December,
| shortly after the commercial launch of Vista in late November.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-knew-googles-desktop-search-issues/story.aspx?guid=%7B9B0D43AB%2D8227%2D40E6%2DA300%2D1CAECF5C2C86%7D&siteid=yhoof

Microsoft May Be Forced to Alter Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Antitrust officials may demand that Microsoft Corp. change its
| Windows Vista operating system to address a complaint by Google
| that the program's design hurts competing software. Vista makes
| it impractical to turn off Microsoft's self-serving search index.
| Government officials are studying whether Microsoft violated the
| 2001 consent decree.
`----

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/stories.nsf/0/0EE60406E44ED34C862572F8000CD63B?OpenDocument

sta Limits Choices, Google Alleges

,----[ Quote ]
| Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said yesterday that
| officials from several states may decide by early next week whether
| they will ask the judge to force Microsoft to revise Windows Vista,
| the latest version of the company's operating system. "We've reached
| a critical juncture in our decision-making process," he said in an
| interview. "If Microsoft is misusing its market dominance with
| Vista to constrain competition or consumer choice, we will seek
| appropriate action from the court."
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/11/AR2007061102177.html?hpid=sec-tech

Antitrust: Google's statement on Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/Microsoft/archives/116476.asp