Re: [News] [Evil] Intel and Microsoft Turned Charitable Work to War

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Evil] Intel and Microsoft Turned Charitable Work to War
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 02:31:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

.----
| The XO-1's operating system is the open-source Fedora Core with the
| Sugar user interface produced by Red Hat. Red Hat, a $4.5 billion
| company with $400 million of revenue in 2006, has made a lot of
| money from free, open-source software. There's no reason it can't
| do even better with an extra billion customers.
`----

Here we go again. These kids *are not customers*!!! Jesus!!!

How exactly will Red Hat financially benefit from "an extra billion"
users of a *Free community distro* of Linux?

The mind boggles at the reporter's ignorance; what part of "non-profit"
doesn't he understand?

.----
| What about the "shameless" charge that Negroponte leveled at Intel?
| There have been charges in the blogosphere that Intel is
| price-dumping to kill OLPC. According to Intel, the Classmate will
| retail for under $200.
|
| However, according to this blogger, who has used both the OLPC and
| the Classmate, the Classmate's production cost is $400. Could Intel
| take a $200 loss each on a billion computers? Is a
| soon-to-be-obsolete PC with an x86 processor and a 2-hour battery
| life what the world's poorest children need? What's Intel's purpose?
`----

I would have thought that was obvious - exploitation and greed.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "People are not happy in stinking hellholes of abject poverty, what
| is true is that once you cross subsistence ... additional increases
| in wealth have virtually no effect on well-being ... This is worth
| knowing in case you have a choice between "X" and making more
| money, almost certainly "X" is what you should choose."
|   - Barry Schwartz
`----

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
 02:30:29 up 14 days, 14:16,  5 users,  load average: 1.66, 1.77, 1.71