[News] [Rival] Microsoft Repeats the "Letters from Dead People" Tactic

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Repeats the "Letters from Dead People" Tactic
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:28:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft puppets spamming ANSI

,----[ Quote ]
| An impressive list of spam comments asking for supporting OOXML and
| backward compatibility, claiming also that "Open XML in no way
| contradicts any other international document standard". No really?
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-11857/microsoft-puppets-spamming-ansi

This is utterly disgusting. It's not the first time they do such things (see
below). In fact, antitrust exhibits showed executives talking about grassroot
tactics.

| In 2001, the Los Angeles Times accused Microsoft of astroturfing
| when hundreds of similar letters were sent to newspapers voicing
| disagreement with the United States Department of Justice and its
| antitrust suit against Microsoft. The letters, prepared by Americans
| for Technology Leadership, had in some cases been mailed from
| deceased citizens or nonexistent addresses.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Packing The Court At The ISO?

,----[ Quote ]
|      ...P member countries ('participating member' countries) sending
|     representatives, and I am interested to note the majority of
|     their representatives are, as individuals, also Microsoft employees.
|
| [...]
|
| How can they not see that OOXML (ECMA 376) is unwanted by anyone outside of
| Microsoft? How about it Brian Jones? Are you really so desperate that you
| have to resort to that?
`----

http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/03/23/packing-the-court-at-the-iso/

Watch how they started an astroturfing compaign (pseudo grassroots) in the UK.

Microsoft calls on UK public to raise the Office standard

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is calling on the Great British public to join its campaign
| to get the XML Office format adopted as an international standard.
|
| [...]
|
| It is not clear if the UK is an opponent. However, a representative
| of fellow member the Bureau of Indian Standards recently reportedly
| complained to the IndiaTime.com over Microsoft's decision to dump
| 6,000 pages of documentation on them.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/04/microsoft_office_standards_petition/

Later on, Microsoft created Web sites in support of OOXML. They can't get
supporters, so they fake it.